"Initially, the KIT Focus COMMputation is a combination of a large number of established projects related to the research topics outlined above. More than 100 individual projects have been identified, some major cooperative projects are
- DFG Research Training Group (GRK) "Information Management and Market Engineering"
- DFG Research Training Group (GRK) "Self-organizing Sensor-Actuator-Networks"
- DFG Priority Program "Organic Computing"
- DFG Priority Program "Algorithm Engineering"
- BMBF D-Grid Initiative - bwGRiD
- BMBF D-Grid Initiative - Integration Project
- BMBF "ValueGrids"
- BMWi "MEREGIO"
- BMWi "MEREGIO Mobil"
- National Grid Initiative NGI-DE
- EU FP7 infrastructure project "European Grid Initiative"
- EU IST STREP "AccuRobAs Accurate Robot Assistant"
- EU FP 7 STREP - Q-ImPreSS Quality impact analysis and evolution of Service oriented Systems
- EU FP 7 IP:SLA∂SOI
- EU, BMWi "Modellgestütztes Entwurfs- und Realisierungsmuster für signalverarbeitende Systeme - MERSES"
- EU Network of Excellence "PlanetData - Large Scale Data Management"
- HP, Intel and Yahoo! Cloud Computing Test Bed (one out of six international Centers of Excellence)
- HGF program on Supercomputing and Grid
- Baden-Württemberg-Stiftung "High Throughput Protein Structure Prediction on Hybrid and Distributed High Performance Architectures (HPC-5)"
- Baden-Württemberg-Stiftung "Digital Engineering Table - DigET"
- EU project "EGEE - Enabling Grids for E-SciencE"
- EU IP "DELIS - Dynamically Evolving Large-scale Information Systems"
- EU IP "I-SWARM Intelligent Small World Autonomous Robots for Micro-Manipulation"
- BMBF "SESAM - Self-organisation and Spontaneity in Liberalized and Harmonized Markets"
- DFG Priority Program "Basic Software for Self-organizing Infrastructures for Networked Mobile Systems"
- DFG Priority Program "Algorithms on Large and Complex Networks"
- BMBF "Smart Web"
- EU IP Active - Advanced Context Technologies for Collaborative Enterprise
- EU IP "NeOn - Networked Ontologies"
Most of these larger projects are either completely carried out at Karlsruhe or at least coordinated at Karlsruhe. Another highly relevant recent activity is the foundation of the Karlsruhe Service Research Institute KSRI as a joint initiative of KIT and IBM.